Monday, October 3, 2011

"South of the Border"

Last Friday, I went to my final assigned game of the month. It featured South Carolina and Tulsa. Since I couldn't go to the George Mason-Old Dominion game all the way in Fairfax, I decided that I couldn't miss this one even though UNC-Duke were playing their game on the same night.

It wasn't too bad of a game. South Carolina won 2-1. Tulsa in my opinion had the better players but South Carolina were gritty and scrappy which won out on the night. In fact SC's game-winner was on an own goal off a corner kick.

I noticed something watching this game. I believe the Gamecock fans are some of the most obnoxious fans I've seen in a long time. They would start cursing their own team whenever they made a mistake. It was kind of like a football atmosphere than a college soccer atmosphere.

I guess that's what happens when watching soccer in the south. Where "Go-on and just boot it." was a common term during this game. I don't know maybe I was tripping out on the lack of soccer knowledge that most of these fans had.



South of the Border
As a kid, I use to travel up from Mississippi to visit family in North Carolina. We always drove instead of flying up there. Well going up i-95, I would see these billboards for the South of the Border. I didn't realize how racist these signs where and the fact that most of the pictures of Pedro (the "spokesman" of South of the Border) looked more Asian than Mexican.

That being said, I always wanted to go there because I would see all the lights going off and the rollercoasters among other things.

I never knew that it was the most dirtiest place known to man. I stopped at the exit on Saturday morning just to put gas in the car. And boy, I even felt dirty using the gas pumps. Most everything looked old. And the rollercoasters looked real sketchy and I wouldn't think to step foot on it.

I was about to grab a bite to eat there but I decided I'd rather starve myself then eat this nasty food that will probably give any normal human being diarrehea.



Otherwise...
I'm fine. Just been scouting away and plotting my next move. I'm trying to keep all things in perspective and working on become somewhat successful. Obviously I don't have everything figured out. But I'm continuing to work hard in trying to figure at least some of these things

Me personally. I am really content where I am. That Drake-ish phase has long passed and I am just continuing on looking at myself and how to keep myself being happy. There are always going to be highs and lows. The main thing is keeping myself levelheaded on these things. I can be irrational at times but then again, I can be the most rational person that you know....eh that might be stretching it just a bit.


"There will be many failures in your lifetime but if you learn from them and work harder then the successes will out-do your failures."

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers