Wednesday, March 23, 2011

About that time to hang that other cleat up.

We were out training and we were talking about one of our friends who was trying out for a team in Wilmington. He is definitely good enough to make the team and start in a lot of the games. However when they offered him a contract, they only gave him $500/month and no housing. I was just thinking to myself: Gee, I make much more than that in two weeks time in my job. They can't even give the guy housing??

That is when I knew that chasing this dream is over for me. I like to have fun when I play football not worry about having to feed myself and competition over starting spots. I mean that isn't even close to minimum wage for a real job.

I just feel like if someone plays in that type of league making almost next to nothing for the next seven years or so. Once the career is over, it is back to square one and trying to figure out what to do with the rest of one's life. It is something I would not want to think about at 34 or 35, I rather have things sort of figured out by then, yeah?

I know what you are thinking. But Dre what if I am able to play well enough to get to the MLS?
I understand that logic. However how many people in the modern MLS makes that leap from Second and Third Division clubs in the US? I don't know the statistics but I don't think that many are successful in their pursuit for that. Especially when MLS is trying to become an legitimate league by bringing in foreign players and developing Academies for those MLS clubs. The chances become practically impossible for those lower level players.

I don't knock those guys for pursuing the dream. Keep on, I am still a wee bit jealous of them. However I know the reality that even if I do make a team (USL Pro or NASL), I would probably be a reserve player. Would not hate that but it would stop me from my pursuits after my last professional kick.


In turn, I had one boot hung up and now I am officially hanging up the other one. I want to play with my people and have fun doing the thing I love. It isn't about getting paid for doing something you love because actually it becomes more of a burden than one realizes (I can explain that to you if you don't understand). I just want to step onto the park, breath the nice Spring air, kick around, and love doing what I love to do without people critique my every kick...

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers