Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Tryout Pt.1

If you don't like soccer and not interested in it at all. Just click X. I'll do randomness some other time

On Sunday night, I was out in Maryland during a professional soccer tryout for the USL-2 team Real Maryland. Once I stepped out of my car, on cue the rain started to come down. It would be just that luck. It's alright cold outside and now the rain just makes it much worse. Anyways, rather than sitting on the bench, I decided to go and warm-up my body. It's weird because I haven't even kicked a ball in the new year. Don't know why I waited til this time to do it but I just haven't. I starting to warm-up and kicking the ball about and I felt good. Felt like I was at home with myself and the soccer ball.

Unfortunately the standard of play was on the poor side. Even when you feel like you stand out, still you can't help making amateur mistakes because a) the pass was sloppy or b) people don't know how to move off the ball and kind of make you feel foolish. But still what I could do and what I know how to do best is keeping the game as simple as possible and making the obvious pass. It might not look great if people in the stands wanted to see anyone show off but it is very effective so that's what I wanted to go with.

We started with a bit of possession and then we went to goal in a small-side setting. The team I was on at least had a couple former college players on it so we were probably one of the better sides in the small-sided tournament. Afterwards we went into 11 v 11. That went alright. Most of the guys didn't know how to keep a defensive shape so I had to basically put them in certain positions myself to at least make sure I don't have to work too hard. Making the game easy is always the best way.

The thing that always gets me about these tryouts are the people trying to do the most ridiculous things. I mean doing an air heel flick isn't going to help you make this team especially when you flick it out of bounce. Then you try to cryuff the ball and miss it completely. That is going to make you look bad.

Well we won the scrimmage 2-0. The effects of me not playing for a while took a toll on me. Both hip flexors were on fire and about 75 minutes in the scrimmage, I went to slide-tackle and both calves cramped on me. That was the finally straw and I just had to come out the game. However I made a good impression on the coaching so I felt like me going out the game was alright.

After the session, I just wanted to go up to the coach and thanked him for having me and such. He had nothing but good things to say about me which made me feel well and he said that it's likely that they want me to come back up there for preseason training. Which is a plus especially since I haven't been playing in a while.

In Part two, I will explain to you what else he said and why I might not decide to wait for their preseason camp and might end up going elsewhere.

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers