Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Benzema for First Choice Striker of Real Madrid!!....for a little bit at least


For all it's worth, I do think that Karim Benzema is a capable player. I just didn't enjoy his whining last year while Gonzalo Higuain was first choice striker, rightfully so in my opinion. I am the type of person that never forgets a cry-baby. So after Higuain was lost for this season, I thought that Real Madrid should look for a striker. Tevez? Drogba? I did not think that Benzema could carry the load. I think my view was a little jaded through my opinion of him.

He was off-form for a little while in the beginning of the season. It could have been due to him not playing much due to Higuain and it could have been due to the technical director (Valdano) and manager (Mourinho) arguing on whether to stick with Benzema after Higuain's injury or find a new striker. Soon enough though Jorge Valdano won out at least a little bit and Benzema got a bit more playing time as a result.

The last couple of games for Madrid and France, he has been impressive in my eyes. Watching the France-Brazil match probably got me to turning a new leaf on the guy and his ability to be the first choice striker for his club and country. So I can say that I am stand correct by the guy's performances the last couple of weeks.

Madrid decided to loan in Emanuel Adebayor. Now I can have my differences with Benzema however I feel as if he is a better player than Ade. Adebayor had one good season in Arsenal and I guess is still living on that memory. Noted, that Ade has had a lot to deal with over the last year (the incident in Angola at the African Nations Cup where the Togo NT bus was shot on), however he didn't pass my eye test. I would not pick him to be first choice striker of Madrid over Benz.

I don't know if Benzema has won over his manager. However he has at least won me over as a Real Madrid striker. I am concerned if Mourinho goes after a Didier Drogba and when Higuain comes back, he'll probably be back on the sidelines again. I think he can be a first-choice striker for a top team and he needs to be in order for France to achieve anything in the next four years (Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014).

I hope my praise of him doesn't lead to his overconfidence(even though I know he isn't listening)....

As I was typing this post, he scores on his first couple of touches of their Champions League match-up with his former club, Lyon. At least I am starting to get something right. Ha...

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers