Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mind of the Clueless

Here we go again....

I write, I have a good idea where I want to go with this posting then I get stuck in a rut and I erase the whole thing. I can't sit still and write a good LONG blog post. So I am just going to ramble on like I do with my tweets but this time I at least have more than 140 characters to go with.

Poor Kyrie. I was going to start out with a rambling about how Cleveland is a poor team to play for and probably a bad place for a 18 or 19 year old kid to live. Then I realize that Cleveland people (matter of fact people from Ohio) hate HARD! REAL HARD!! I think that they just might hate harder than I do. So quite honestly I kind of want to stay away from that subject so I don't have all of Ohio wanting to kill a little 25 year old kid (that's me)


"You know I had a big chip on my shoulder from not being recruited."
Listening to one of the guys ramble about not being heavily recruited in college now he is a first round pick. He just better be lucky that this draft is weaker than Chris Bosh's knees after they lost the finals this year. He would have been lucky to get into the draft some years. Is it me or more of these guys based mostly on potential rather than Superstarability (that isn't a word I know). Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams, fine. But some of these other guys are reaches from the sky. I hope these GMs know what they are doing. Then again there might not be a league next year so who knows..


Back to things I know more about (Well sort of)
I read this article on ESPNsoccernet.com (Pele: Lionel Messi must score as many as me). The statement is flawed mostly because Pele played in Brazil and in the US while Messi is playing in one of the best leagues in the World with the best team. Messi's competition is miles ahead of what Pele played against in club level. Now people who turned on to soccer in these last two decades will say that Messi is better than Pele. I haven't seen Pele myself (except for highlights) so I can't make the argument without prejudice. Plus I hate making the best ever argument because it isn't fair.

All I can go with is how many World Cups have been won. I know this could be a flawed argument in itself. When you think about the greatest, you think about who has won World Cups. Johan Cryuff could be argued that he is one of the best. But between him and Pele, Pele will be picked most all of the time among those who aren't Dutch (or Brazilian) because of those World Cups. Messi can't even reach the heights that Maradona has. Even though it is a team sport, one player has a great impact in a World Cup tournament.

I've seen five World Cups in my lifetime and when I think about those who won the World Cup, only Italy in 2006 didn't have that one impact player that made their team. Fabio Cannavaro won the best player in the tournament, that award usually is won by midfielders and forwards. Even in that tournament, Zinedine Zidane was the best player in the tournament and carried his team to the finals.

Messi's story is not done but I think he needs that one signature World Cup performance to stake his claim as one of the World greatest. If he does win one World Cup, I will go towards the side of him being best ever.

However him and C. Ronaldo will have that same hurdle to climb. All the club achievements are good and well but when it is said and done, you need to win the most watched tournament in the World.

I know I left many holes in my argument but hey that is how debates generally start right? Maybe wrong but whatever.


Geez I did not think that I would get this far down without wanting to stop. I think I might do this often. Most of these topics are coming straight off the dome and they would not seem right on twitter. Right now I am going to continue to watch this NBA Draft and plot my escape from my house for the weekend. I will update everyone with my comings and goings. Mostly it'll probably be about my life on the couch. I need to get out more and see people....

Nahhhhh I'm good!

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers