Friday, April 24, 2009

The Nonsense 12: My Last Classes Ever?


Yesterday, I took my final classes as an undergraduate student. I had a geology lab final and I was real nervous about it. I know as long as I did alright I would most definitely pass the one hour course. I didn't do too well on the midterm, my quizzes sucked ass, and I BS-ed my lab assignments. However I put a good amount of studying in before the Thursday final and even went out on Wednesday (I cannot turn down a game of beer pong, I just can't do it). The final was relatively easier than I expected and I'm glad that I did not have to ID rocks because if I did then I would have been in huge trouble. All we had to do is look at several maps (this is at the end of the final) and tell what is on the map. Being a geography major, that is right up my alley so I balled out on that and knowing that my TA was going to try and grade all the exams by the end of that day, more than likely I could have bullshit on a couple of topics and got answers right (have to play the game right?).

I waited until about 5pm and checked on blackboard and I got a solid 89 on it and I looked at the rest of my grades and figured out that I could possibly make a B on this joint. After hardly doing anything, I can salvaged my gpa just a little bit. Today I checked again and saw that I did get a solid B (after two of my worse labs were taken off) and now I'm just laughing because I totally did a horrible job in general on the course.

I must be somewhat smart for the simple fact that I can do the "minimum" and get a B out of it. I know it would not work at most other places however I got somewhat luckily and that happens every so often. I know in my next exam that I would probably not be able to get away with the same stuff that I did for my lab. Meaning that I probably won't get a B (more likely a solid C+ would do) but I'm perfectly fine with it because it has been too long and with the pushing of my parents and others I'm about to be done with college forever......

Well at least from what I thought. I had this discussion with my mom on the phone last night and she was telling me about looking into going to graduate school. My eyes almost popped out of my head. I was not thinking about graduate school. At all. I know that it would be helpful but I don't think that right after I graduate I do not need to have graduate school in my head at this moment in time. Luckily they will pay for it because that would be the only reason ever that I would think about graduate school. I think they have this notion that I would make more money with a graduated degree also which I cannot argue honestly. It is probably true but I don't think more schooling at this time will make me feel good. I am going to need some time off and....

What else tells me that I need time off before I think about grad school is the fact that I did slack off for the last two semesters of my undergrad. I know that school will be much harder than what I did. I have been talking to some of my friends who are currently in graduate school and they are totally hating life at the moment. I know that I would have the same outlook on things plus I need to be refreshed and motivated to do more schooling because I know if I went straight into it then it would not be the best thing for me or my parent's money.

Even if I decided to do grad school, it would more than likely not be in UNC. I enjoyed my time being here don't get me wrong about that. I just need a change of scenery though. This has been the only thing that I've known for about five years and it has worn me down (The Nonsense 9). Going somewhere else and meeting different people would be the only way that I would enjoy my graduate school education.

I have lots to think about. I'm not going to try and think about it for now though because I have one final exam left and that is where my attention has to be. So when everything is said and done, I'll be a UNC graduate. It's weird because I'm sure 10 years ago I would have never thought about going to UNC let alone graduating from this university but saying that I'm a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill makes me smile inside.

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers