Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Big Week Arrives...

This isn't any signal of me leaving or anything. I'm talking about the week leading to the big Chatham Cup Clash against Mirmar Rangers of Wellington. According to all the pundits (or the one or two that are in New Zealand I guess) they are the favorites to win the tournament. However they still have to go up against us. And we are going to make it hard on them with our free-flowing football. We are coming into the game with confidence due to our 5-0 victory against streaking Onehunga-Mangere. So hopefully we'll have a good week of training before next Sunday's clash.

Miramar will be a hard team to crack. They have a number of NZFC (New Zealand Football Championship) players on their squad and a couple of players who either have or still are playing for the All-Whites. Luckily we have the home-field advantage and the nice pitch of Keith Hay Park's No.1 Field on our side. We'll be prepared with the training that we are going to do. If we have last week to go to, then we'll be just fine.

I wonder where exactly am I going to be playing on Sunday Afternoon. I may be playing at center back or left fullback because they have pretty good wide-guys. And there is a tall forward that we have to deal with. I mean I understand since I may be a few inches smaller than the guy but I believe I can hold my own against those players. Use their height against them in some way and just keep them uncomfortable when they have the ball or about to get the ball. However I won't mind playing at left fullback either. I think I am physically fit enough to handle that position for 90 or 120 minutes. The real test is getting my positioning correct and keep my mind on the task. Usually when I play at the fullback, I would like to make more plays and I'm usually antsy about it. After playing it during the Lynn-Avon game, I felt more comfortable about what I was doing because I wasn't antsy about making plays and I thought it was the best I played in that position so I know I could play it. If you were to ask me, obviously I'd rather to play in the center but I'll do whatever is best for the team.

Other than the training, I'm probably just going to relax. I thought about going for a run during the day or going to the weight room but I think I should just keep my body relaxed for the week, maybe doing some stretching to keep my body limber. I'll probably just walk around this suburb taking pictures of spring coming in to New Zealand and just enjoying the warm weather. Then again, I won't be the least bit surprised if it rains tomorrow. It would be my luck....

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers