Friday, January 2, 2009

Here's the footy in me

I honestly can't decide what to write about now. I mean yeah it's around 3:15am and I cannot get to sleep. (What's new huh?) Well whatever I write it will probably pertain to soccer aka footy since those sites are the only ones I've been to in the last couple of hours. Oh well many of ya don't know what I'm talking about to begin with so here goes nothing.

Would you side with Kolo Toure or William Gallas?
It's not truly a difficult question honestly. I will take the guy who doesn't stomp around the field and has a hissy fit as the captain of his team. I'd rather have the guy who people would more than likely listen to and respect more often. The guy I am talking about is Kolo Toure, who is an Arsenal player who is having problems with fellow defender William Gallas. Now Toure wants a transfer this month because the bust-up has gone too far. I personally think Toure is a way better defender than Gallas. He is serviceable, I don't see him in the press too often for anything controversial and he just plain and simple gets the job done. Gallas is a whiny baby who isn't a good as he use to be or maybe isn't as good as anyone thinks. I feel like I can't respect a person that says that he cannot play with another player and goes to the coach about it. If you don't like someone fine, but that is not something that I would do to another teammate I feel that is very much out of line. But still I've seen it done and apparently Gallas talked Wenger into benching Toure for last weekends match against Portsmouth. I do not know why Wenger continues to listen to Gallas. Hasn't he caused enough problems in the locker room? I mean if you were to poll the players on Arsenal, I'm sure there would be a good percentage of them that says that Arsenal could do without Gallas and keep Toure. But I forget Wenger is French and so is Gallas, that kind of helps.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=606120&sec=england&cc=5901

Oh Transfer Talk

The transfer window has opened up for European teams to splurge to help their teams get better for championship pushes or to keep them from facing relegation. There is one thing I hate about this whole deal is just I don't know who to believe when I go to these sites. Even the two sites I frequently go to. Goal.com and Soccernet.com. I still cannot believe what is going to happen. One day they'll tell me that Jermain Defoe will go to Aston Villa and I'm like okay he'll be going to Aston Villa, and then the next couple of hours they say "WRONG! he's going back to Tottenham" the nonsense like that. (BTW Jermain Defoe hasn't gone anywhere yet for those keeping up HA) I just try to keep things at face value. Another thing about the transfer season is that I believe it is different than in American sports because clubs try to force each others hands over here in Europe. Teams or agents will try to get their players through the media or tell them that the player is unsettled. For the majority of trades that go on for American sports, there is some sort of understanding between both parties and they both get something that they need. However for football (soccer) transfers, it could get ugly real fast and bidding wars between competing teams could start happening. Think about the Red Sox and Yankees bidding for top players. This will be happening every day in January and it won't even be with teams with the stature as the Red Sox/Yankees. However I love it because the excitement and seeing what major names might go to clubs. All I got to say is Valencia, Don't sell David Villa!

(Apologies if this probably isn't as clear as I wanted to make it, this is basically strictly for the footy fans)

His hair gel game is still banging
Being on Goal.com, I saw who were the biggest transfer flops (from the summer transfer window) of mid-season. And Ricardo Quaresma, from Inter Milan, won it by a landslide. Costing Inter Milan 30mil euros (i believe it is euros), it has probably been one of the worse players in the Serie A this season. This guy is in all actually a good player but I believe that he will always be a good player who needs to be on a team who is not as good as other teams. I remember this same player going to Barcelona and flopping there then going to FC Porto (a Portuguese club) and blowing up there, then seeing him come to Inter and stink up the place. I hope he at least gives back some of the 30mil. But maybe he spent it all on his hair gel because that shit is bangin!

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1675/goalcom-polls/2008/12/31/1035055/poll-results-quaresma-transfer-flop-of-the-season



Alright I've been talking almost for 45 minutes. It's almost four now. So I am going to make another attempt of trying to go to sleep. Hopefully it'll work this time. If not....I don't know what I'm going to do. Peace

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers