Monday, January 12, 2009

OK, My Soccer brain is at work now.

Forget my trials and tribulations and other crap that is going on in my life personally I would like to get back on the football (soccer). There have been issues that I have been thinking about that went on this weekend and I will try to discuss in detail.

"I'm not playing mind games, I am just stating the facts."
This what Rafa Benitez, the liverpool manager, was saying in attacking Manchester United and Sir Alex Ferguson. I personally don't like neither teams so it was real funny to just stand back and watch the nonsense unfold. The problem I have with his statements are that he is currently in first place right now and I don't really think that it was warranted. If you poke the beast long enough it will bite your hand off. I just feel like he is poking the beast and also making excuses on what might happen if Man Utd catches up to Liverpool. He has a talented team already he needs to be focused on that, because even if he is right about Sir Alex. I don't think you should be putting this negative attention towards your team. Everyone says that it won't bring any attention to the team but they have to say that. If Rafa's squad gets caught by Man Utd then it won't have anything to do with their tactics, it will have to deal with your constant obsession with Sir Alex. You never say Mourinho and Wenger saying that Sir Alex controls the refereeing and the English FA. Yeah they talked their mind games too but their attacks weren't as rash and as harsh as his. Be easy Rafa, your team is in first, concentrate on that and make sure your star players don't beat up any more DJS (sorry I had to bring that up again).

It might be time for Drogba to go.
While I was watching the Man Utd-Chelsea game yesterday. I felt like one person was never in the game or never really belonged in the game. I would give Didier Drogba his props when he does well however he has been on the decline this season. Whether he's been injured or throwing coins at people, he just hasn't belonged on the Chelsea squad. I watched the first half and Chelsea was moving the ball nicely and once the ball gets up to Drogba, he either holds on to it too long or he mistouches it and gives the ball away. His teammates are already frustrated with him and this performance makes you wonder if he is even trying anymore. Most want to say well he isn't on his match form yet. So why start him last night? and leave the Premier League's Leading Scorer on the bench? It's obvious that he must be doing the right things in training. However it hasn't transferred in the game. My personal opinion is that the 4-4-2 for Chelsea just doesn't work. When they changed to that in the second half of yesterdays game, they looked like they were chasing the game in the midfield. And Anelka and Drogba just didn't look good together also. So I would think that since there have been problems with Drogba as it is and his form isn't up to par, Scolari needs to do something about it or he'll end up being sacked in the end of the year and his reputation damaged a bit.

Becks' Debut
When David Beckham went on loan to AC Milan noone would ever think that he would crack the lineup in this squad with Pirlo, Seedorf, Ronaldinho and Kaka. He not only got into the lineup in his first game on the road against Roma, he actually played pretty well that it heaped praised from Kaka that he should stay on in Milan. I believe that it is a bad sign to the Galaxy that he might actually stay on and play a couple of more years in Milan. Then again it might not be, it is well known that Beckham's wages are holding back the Galaxy's ability to get better in the MLS and also he has not been inspirational for his team. So I honestly don't think losing Becks will be a bad decision for the Galaxy. It could actually in the long run make Bruce Arena's squad better. Also they would have more money to spend if Landon Donovan, who is expected to probably stay on at Bayern Munich after his loan spell. So all would not be lost. Galaxy can rebuild and make their team better and Beckham can prolong his career and feel better about his football because it was apparent that he really wasn't feeling good about it while he was in the US.

"Within the Spirit of the Game"
While I was watching the game on Sunday (Man Utd-Chelsea), before Vidic scored the first goal of the game, a goal was disallowed because if you see replays in the game it looked as if Ryan Giggs didn't place the ball on the corner kick line and they took a corner kick illegally what they didn't show you unless you watched the review show is that Rooney actually took the corner kick by dragging the ball off the corner and Ryan Giggs dribbled in and crossed to Christiano Ronaldo who headed it in. I actually thought it was a clever play after seeing it on the review show and then I remember while I was in Mississippi and we went on a trip to England and we actually tried it and it actually worked out pretty well. Alright back to the current, the referee said that he saw the corner kick and said it wasn't within the spirit of the game. I have one question so when was that one of the rules of the game. And if you indeed saw it then you should have stopped it from happening instead of making an excuse, because now I am thinking that you made a mistake and that goal should have been allowed or he didn't see it at all and when he saw it on replay he had to say something on the fly to make himself from not looking bad. They better be thankful that they ended up scoring anyway on the second try and that wasn't a key moment in the game.

I'm done now don't really have much to say right now. I'm going to go ahead and start my week. Maybe I'll go on a run right now. Man if I'm not fit by the end of this month, it's going to be a shame.

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers