Wednesday, February 18, 2009

If I was a kid...

I would not be listening to Alex Rodriguez talking to me about how steroids are bad for you. Note the fact that he can't even explain to us that he actually cheated, he is just the wrong person going around the country telling everybody how bad steroids is. For that matter I wouldn't listen to anybody who took steroids telling me that I shouldn't take them. Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire,even though he hasn't said he took it but we believe he did, even Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds wouldn't get my attention. How could you possibly listen to anybody who's taking steroids. It's like listening to a murder telling you that murder is bad. Well it didn't stop you from murdering somebody. Think about going to the grocery store and seeing your mom steal a couple of grapes, candy or use a little bit of lotion that you didn't buy, then them telling you that it isn't okay to steal, Okay mom what about those grapes you took from the grocery store? Technically you stole them right? Also I would not want to hear somebody like A-Rod who is in the prime of his career telling me how bad steroids is especially when we see that he had his best years as a pro during that three year span averaging 50 home runs a year and winning an MVP in 2003. I'd rather hear somebody who has had a bad experience due to steroids, I don't want anybody having anything happen to their children and etc but that's what would go to heart to me rather than a self-absorbed superstar who is more worried about his legacy than what we thought to begin with.

Especially if I was a future baseball player, I would like to hear from the Roy Oswalts and Jamie Moyers telling me how they have made it to the pros and have had successful careers through hard-work and dedication. Telling me that I don't need steroids to have my dreams come true nor will it help me in the long run. That is what kind of disappoints me about some baseball players they are more worried about being perceived as clean than teaching children why steroids and performance enhancing drugs are wrong. If you are clean then you don't have to prove anything to anybody, you know in your heart that you did the right thing. I'm sure there are players who go around telling everybody that steroids is wrong (I'm not saying that Oswalt and Moyer aren't one of them, they were just some of those who lambasted A-Rod). Those are the players I'd rather hear from other than A-Rod.

On another note separate from the post: Let's just end this A-Rod talk already. We all know that we can't believe what he is telling us. However he has a lot of other things to worry about other than newspapers and other media outlets telling him that's he's wrong. He has to worry about teammates that from most of everything I've heard don't like him at all. A New York fanbase that won't take his nonsense and him coming up small in the late innings. I know the talk won't stop and he will continue to be asked these questions but I feel like it'll be overkill. He told us that he took it and if there's more out there, then eventually it will come out and his legacy will take a bigger hit.

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers