Thursday, August 7, 2008

I understand. but why?


Okay, I am a huge soccer fan. I can watch games all day and night. Also I learn from them but the Olympic tournament started this morning and yes I actually stayed up all night (by accident actually) and watched the 5am game with the United States and Japan. For those who don't know about it. It is an u-23 tournament but you can add up to three overage players. For example, Brazil could bring Ronaldinho to the tournament if his club allows it (I don't know why he's on the decline but that's another issue). Anyways I like this team we have, some of the guys I know and have played against in the past and I like our chances we have guys who don't have any fear. But....


When I started watching this game there was one overage player that I don't think belongs on this team or at least on this particular starting lineup and his name is Brian McBride. Now I understand that he has done A LOT in his career and by all means he's a good player but what forward tandem would you be scared of? McBride and Adu or Jozy Altidore and Adu? I'd take the latter you should have seen them in qualifying they were dangerous together and even Charlie Davies is much more dangerous than McBride.


I understand that well you brought him as an overage player for him to play and not sit on the bench. It would kinda be a waste of an overage player. But he is just a one dimensional player in my opinion. He can win headers and flick balls on but honestly anybody with the will and the competitiveness could do that. We need guys beating people on one v ones and able to get shots off and threaten the defense with their speed. I just feel like our game is going to be bogged down to trying to chip to mcbride and then Adu or Rogers or Holden tries to run on and do things. I feel like this one of the most talented teams we have and these guys can keep the ball on the ground and play with the other teams in the world. That long ball crap just doesn't work (you can ask England about that). But who knows maybe he will work out, but all I know is if or as I would say it when we make it to the quarterfinal rounds then I would like to see the young guys do the business like I know they can.

1 comment:

A West said...

1st of all, big ups for startin your blog. 2nd, I'm with you on the Brian McBride issue. I think he's a good player, but why not give Jozy the run out he needs, and let him terrorize defenders? He's a man-child and his pure physical ability is enough to scare defenders ishless.

Those darn imaginary readers