Monday, August 18, 2008

So our track and field has gotten that bad?

You remember the time when track and field use to be our sport. When we were guaranteed medals in mostly if not all the sprint events. I mean for the women's 100 meter dash it was an all-Jamaican medal stand. And the Americans got fourth and the other two got last and second to last. And in the men's 100, our gold medal hope, Tyson Gay couldn't even make it to the finals, meanwhile Usian Bolt is practically moonwalked into a gold medal and a world record of 9:69 (imagine if he didn't celebrate the last 20 yards where he already knew he won). And I don't know who will win 200 yard dash but I hear that it is Bolt's favorite race so we can chalk another medal to the Jamaican and I believe at least we should win the 400 yard dash with Jeremy Warner I believe, but other than that I don't believe that there is anybody good enough.



So what's up? Did performance enhancing help so much that we can hardly medal in these races that we dominated easily in the past? Or has the Jamaican spicked up on these drugs and know ways of hiding it. I cannot really point out a reason way it's gotten this bad. I mean one has to wonder about our last generation of runners who some haven't been tested positive for steroids in this tainted sport, like Carl Lewis, Maurice Greene, and Michael Johnson. These most decorated athletes somehow either didn't do them or didn't get caught doing them. Now all of our best athletes are steroid users. Justin Gaitlin and Marion Jones are prime examples, but there are others who win events then end up testing positive and disappearing forever. I don't know what the answer for this is. Maybe coaches actually being coaches and not just giving their athletes pills, injections, or cream? or maybe we need to get back to apparently what got us good in the 90's and early 2000s. Don't get me wrong I don't feel sorry for the US Track and Field Team at this state, they put it among themselves to do these wrong things. I am just wondering because swimming has just taken over as one of my favorite sports over track and field because I don't see many Americans even making the finals for that matter. All I got to say is that something's got to change and fast before we fall into obscurity and Germans or French runners start beating us and I don't want to see that well unless it's David Odonkor or Thierry Henry beating us but that's a different story all together

1 comment:

A West said...

as usain bolt went into the last 20 metres of the 100, he felt the need to dance, starting with the harlem shake, finishing with the cupid shuffle to a bit of chicken noodle soup as he crossed the finish line.

Those darn imaginary readers