Monday, August 11, 2008

I wanna be...

Haha, While I was trekking back down to Atlanta, I was thinking about things that I would like to do if and when I hang up the boots from soccer and of course coaching came up as number one on my list. Now it is a great idea, I can stay in the game and help kids to learn the game so they can love playing it like I love playing it. The only drawback that if I tried to coach the kids then I would have to go through the processing of cutting players and that would be painful because you know that there are parents who think their children are the best and that they deserve to be on the team and also you don't want to break a kid's dream of making the team and all that I know it would be painful to them also

So more than likely I would like to coach college but I doubt I would be able to but If I did here is how I would go about it.

Recruiting: This is a big important piece of making your team up of the players that will get your program a winning mentality. Now many have their philosophies of how to make their teams. Some don't need to even go outside their state to find the best players (i.e California, Texas, Florida, and hmm North Carolina). So some teams would like to get in-state players. Wake had about at the least five players( it is probably more) who contributed in their national championship run. And the most successful run that my university had was when we had a whole backline full of North Carolina players and others feel like that that is the way to go. Many others are going the youth national team route. Trying to get the most national team players as possible. Well that could possibly work but you have to know what you are getting into, you don't know if they are going to be there the whole time or maybe going for one year. Also you might have to question their winning mentality, because i mean let's be honest (and it would be my mentality if i was on that team too) if you are on the national team then more than likely you would be or should be going pro so college is just a stopping gap. So you have to be careful, but most of these guys are good, solid guys who want to win wherever they are at but most time they aren't reliable to be there for four years.

Now what I would do: During the spring, I would be all over the recruiting trail for the best juniors all around. Trying to make all the tournaments that I could. And what I would be looking for are guys who fit my system and who just fit my character. Also I will try to find straight-up winners. I want to find the guys who are thirsty for winning and will do everything that they possibly can to win at all cost. Also I will look into their schooling and see if they are doing well in their studies and if possible I will try to sneak into a couple of training sessions, because you aren't able to see everything you know about a kid in a game, you'll definitely see his habits in training where noone is around and that's what I want to see about him

My Training Sessions: Now I know everyone dreads the preseason and just training in general, well I would try to do my training sessions a little different than my college coach. Let me say this NO COOPER! I would never subjected anybody to doing that test. I feel like it is just useless to me. What I would do is do some fitness at the end of training, progressively going from real hard fitness towards the end making fitness just about maintaining it until I wouldn't need to use it anymore. As for the training sessions. Of course we'll do the normal warmup with possession and all that then we would break out into small-sided games for the rest of the day until at the end will do some finishing with the attackers after the fitness. Also I will get rid of the two-a days during preseason, because something I learned being in the mls is that you can do alot of work in the one training session that you have so I don't want to kill the kids over it. Maybe have some two-a-days with the second session just being a scrimmage against each other but that's it

My Formation: Now I will be somewhat short on this topic cause i know it will be boring. Now I will try to go with the 4-4-2, with a diamond midfield. Because I love that defensive midfield that just hold and does the business while the other midfielders and forwards do their offensive job also I would like but no necessary that my wing backs are able to get up and back because it would help our offense and help us be a lil more dynamic and it would also help will my second formation that I would go with. I would in some cases like to go with the 3-5-2. With three strictly defenders in the back because if you use your wing backs as backs then it might be difficult because they aren't the greatest defenders they are good but not the greatest. So definitely three strictly defenders who will stay back there and the backs will play the outside mid positions which are basically outside backs because they have to keep our defensive shape on the weak side, but that's about it. I will love for my #10 to be the attacking mid also I forgot all about that.

College Life: Now I know that these guys are young men and they are in college which means PARTYTIME. And I'm not going to be the one who says dry season or any nonsense like that because I think it is just stupid plus the fact your team can resent you if you try to take away their college experience. I would just say. Don't do anything to embarrass yourself and the program and If I don't hear about anything or don't see it then I won't do anything about it unless it is affecting the team's play or training session. When I say that, I am saying I don't want to read about you in the newspaper getting in trouble or seeing pictures on the internet of you embarrassing yourself. What I am saying is if what you are doing is affecting the team. I will make sure you pay for your indiscretions. Just make sure you don't affect the team and your overall fitness because if it does, don't be surprise about being on the bench because your playing time will depend on your training performance mostly.

Well that is about it. That's what I thought about at least for the last three in a half hours of the trip and luckily I got back safely and soundly. I need to do that more often. Comment if u wish

No comments:

Those darn imaginary readers