Friday, August 15, 2008

Size doesn't matter

I'm trying to figure out what is the deal with having a certain size for some athletes. I don't get it. I have heard that I was too small to play center back and that I should play a different position. Since when was there a size requirement for playing a sport. I mean look at Fabio Cannavaro, oh he has done just fine with himself being 5'9 and all, haven't we forgotten that he helped lead Italy to a World Cup Title in 06? and he was named FIFA World Player of the Year? I am not saying that it isn't helpful to have size but we all aren't born with the same traits. If I had the chance to be a little taller then I would definitely jump at that chance. Everyone should have a chance to play any position whatever the size is. Maybe except for basketball where size is kinda needed.

As for basketball, what is there problem with small point guards? Most aren't asked to shoot the ball 10 to 15 times a game, they are called on to run and manage the game. There are players who have done well and are doing well with the size they have. There's Earl Boykins who was the smallest player in the NBA (until he went to Europe this season coming up) and everyone had respect for the little man because he went out there and showed those giants that he can ball with them. Also Chris Paul, who is turning into one of the most dominate point guards in this league. He has worked on his shooting game, he can get to the basket against anyone, plus he can pass his ass off. He has all the tools that most 6'8 to 6'11 players do not have.

I don't know I feel like there are many ways to argue about why size doesn't matter, but I guess I'll leave this debate alone for now. All I have to say is that you should be able to do whatever you want whatever the size is, maybe except for rollercoasters, we have to draw a limit somewhere.

1 comment:

A West said...

I'm gonna need you to stop writing about stuff I'm gonna write on in the future. Haha. I wrote down a list of stuff I'm gonna talk about, and the U.S. preoccupation with size is something I'm planning on writing about soon. Maybe I'll just do it now since you already opened the subject up for discussion...

Those darn imaginary readers