Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Arsene Wenger and getting away from my daily life (which sucks)


Hey, I'm trying to get away from my life because I am out of sorts right now. I don't know if I have any work to do for the rest of this week. So I just want to get away from me for the time being and talk about something I love which is football (aka soccer) since I'm not the sneaker-almost-head that Aaron is or I would be talking about shoes if I had the collection or the money.

People give Arsene Wenger all kinds of crap for his selection of signings and his reluctance of signing the big name players that Man Utd and Chelsea and Liverpool sign. But you have to give it up to him, he is a very very good judge of talent. I watched them play Bolton last weekend and they were a joy to watch and most of the players you would not have heard much about before these last couple of seasons. Think of players like Bendtner, Sagna, Walcott, Fabergas (who they got from Barcelona as a youth) and even Adebayor who people haven't really heard much about until he made the move to Arsenal. I remember one season that Arsenal made it to the Carling Cup final with an entire team of reserves and/or youth players. He is also trying to do it again with players like Carlos Vela rocking a hat-trick in the Carling Cup game against Sheffield United today in a 6-0 thrashing with only Bendtner and Song the only true first-teamers in the side altogether. Only problem that Arsene Wenger has is that he is reluctant to pay the young players, once they get to their prime, the big bucks and then Wenger might have a little too much pride and says to himself, "Well I can always bring in more talent, so go on!" This is why he hasn't won a title in about 3 or 4 years because the young players know how to play the game but they quite don't know how to win and if you just keep on stocking young players and not keeping the core players than Arsenal fans are going to say, "yeah we have nice players but we want championships." Maybe he is going to keep some of his core players like Fabergas, Adebayor, Toure, and maybe Gallas w/o him being captain which he is a joke at. If he can do that and always develop the young talent that he has then he will have a bunch of trophies coming to him in the next couple of years

1 comment:

A West said...

i was gonna write a post about that, but now i don't. you said it my dude, arsene is a great judge of talent. he fielded a team where the oldest player (a goalkeeper) was 23, and the oldest outfield player was 21 and they beat the breath out of sheffield united. he seems to be able to get the best out of whatever players he coaches, and when he does decide to release a player they never do quite as well as when they played for him. i'm pretty sure if i got to arsenal at age 15 i would have been world class by now. too bad i was born in the US...

Those darn imaginary readers